I was intending to do a reasonably-scaled project today. My plan was to ONLY to move the refrigerator over and mount a shelf.
You (if you have ever done any projects... or if you have ever met me) know exactly where this is headed. But just for the sake of amusement, lets follow the bouncing ball...
Move refrigerator over and remember that HOLY CRAP I forgot there was a giant hole behind the refrigerator from when I tore out the broom cupboard with my bare hands a few years back in a somewhat manic phase.
Realize while moving the refrigerator that the tile is NOT EVEN on the floor because when I tore out the kitchen floor some three years ago I didn't exactly cover the hole in the floor (once a laundry shoot?) with anything but what the previous owners had used; an old for-sale sign circa 1950.
Go to the store to get ONLY THE REQUISITE SUPPLIES.
Here I felt I was doing fairly good at the whole limited scope of the project.
I purchased: patching kit for hole in the wall, particle board to patch the floor, a circular saw to cut the board (and because quite frankly I'm not sure how I have managed without a circular saw for so long), and anchors for mounting things into the wall.
I cut the floor thing and got that mostly sorted. Did the wall patch thing and got that mostly sorted.
Then I painted a bunch of stuff. Walls. And then a little bit of the ceiling wear the broom closet used to be because it was discolored. Now it is just a patch of semi-gloss white against the flat-white that rest of the ceiling is, but I am NOT going to redo the whole ceiling right now thank you very much.
Lacked the proper mounting hardware for the shelf so had to wait for the following day.
And also when I went to get mounting hardware I also picked up several flats of plants. So that while I was waiting for the final coat of paint to dry and before Spouse retrieved my drill from F/friend's house I weeded, amended the soil, set up and planted my square foot garden.
Then I did a bunch of other stuff. Put the shelves together and hung them and I am pretty well pleased with the result. But I can't feel my right hand. Or part of it. And I got fairly well chilled while gardening in my shirtsleeves today in the after-rain chill.
The moral of the story: this is my TYPICAL modus operandi. NOT what I am aiming for.
I do have a finished product that I like.
And I guess I was somewhat less disruptive of the ENTIRE house than past all-in projects.
And i might not take DAYS and DAYS to recover... so maybe this is progress.
At one point during the gardening process I turned to son (oh whoops! we made it until 4:00 before realizing we hadn't eaten lunch) and said, "I'm too tired to keep planting. Let's stop and clean up." Usually I engage in project until too tired to clean up. So this was a more grown-up version of zombie gardening. If I had scaled it back a bit sooner, or worn gloves, or eaten lunch I would have called it a complete win.
Quaker, teacher, parent,